Student Ministry

 Surf City Recap 

By: Dan Bender


For several decades now Hebron has been in partnership through the Pittsburgh Kids Foundation through a summer camp experience called Surf City. Although the physical camp we use now is different than it was many years ago, the spirit remains the same—Gospel focused, incredibly fun and life impacting. 

As you may or may not know, Surf City also plays a major role in my personal faith story. As a 6
th grader back in (ahem) 1994, I went there for the first time, and it was there Jesus met me and redeemed me. It has continued to be a very special place for me throughout the years as I grew and matured in my faith. It was also the place I felt God call me into ministry. Even though it has been some years since I have been there, this year lived up to all of the expectations. 

First and foremost, our speaker, Joe from Northway, did a fantastic job unpacking for us the necessity to be curious about Jesus. He did a great job all week long helping us move closer to Jesus. 

We also got to spend a lot of time doing team-building type things; and even though at the end of the week we did not take home the Gold, the Blue Bobsled Brontosaurus crushed most of the main events including the fabled Surf City Regatta. I do not think there was a more definitive victory ever in the Regatta, and that is thanks to the awesome Lady Swimmers of Hebron churning through the lake with the boat behind them. 

There was also time for more serious things as well. Every morning we would come together for a time of Bible study and small group questions. Every evening we would come together for a large group time of worship and activity and end with cabin time small groups. It was apparent that God was moving in the lives of our young people and helping them take steps forward in their faith. 

I want to take a moment to personally thank all of the leaders who came and spent the week with our students. Walking at least 30+ miles, going from early morning to late at night is no small feat! But to also be present, caring and leading authentically well is more than I could ask for. To the team - Don't stop Believing! To those who gave money to help students get to camp, thank you from the bottom of my heart. I know how much that means because I was one of those kids who needed financial assistance back in 1994. 

God still moves in the sweet soft sands. We are totally looking forward to next year!