How Do I Give?

 By: The Stewardship Team


For they gave according to their means, as I can testify, and beyond their means, of their own accord…2 Corinthians 8:3 

Paul characterizes giving as an “act of grace.” Grace always has in view what’s best for others. Giving also requires one to assess their circumstances. The Corinthians gave to the saints in Jerusalem “according to their means.” God doesn’t want us to give until we are poor. But some gave “beyond their means,” sacrificially. It’s easier to give out of abundance, but to give out of need is not only an act of grace but an incredible act of faith in God’s provision. 

But exactly how are we to understand “according to their means”? Look at Proverbs 30:8-9. On the one hand, it involves our attitude toward material things. On the other hand, God is saying, “For your own good, you can’t afford not to give.”  Paul is basically telling the Corinthians, “What goes around comes around.” We all see what’s “coming around” in our culture these days. Maybe that reflects what Christians have failed to “send around.” When we give lovingly, sacrificially, whether it be our time, talent or treasure, it exemplifies God’s grace towards us in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

You say, “I get it. My heart’s desire is to be used by God. But when it comes to my finances, I’m not there. Have you seen my post-holiday credit card balance? My gas bill? I just had an unexpected car repair. I have a hard time distinguishing ‘needs’ and ‘wants’. Honestly, I’m an impulse buyer. I’m not much for budgeting. Look, I got nobody to lean on for advice; and even if I did, I’d be too embarrassed to ask.” 

Many of us have been there and done that. Hebron has volunteer financial counselors willing to come alongside you to help. God does not want any of His children to live under a burden of debt, financially or spiritually. All you need to do is ask. Seek out Henry, Jerry or a church officer and convey your concerns, and a confidential meeting will be arranged with one of Hebron’s counselors.  

What do you have that you did not receive? (1 Corinthians 4:7)