On Being a Steward

by Henry Knapp


Billy Graham said it, and I believe it: “A checkbook is a theological document; it will tell you who and what you worship.”

I believe it in part because I know anyone looking at how I spend my money, my free time, my energy would soon have a handle on both my devotion to our Lord, and also to the idols in my life. Much of the way I live my life, the way I spend my money, the way I give of my time and energy, reflects my passion for Jesus and my commitment to Him. However, there is also much money, time, effort, passion spent on other things as well, things that, of course, I would deny were “idols,” but… perhaps are anyway.

The Christian life is a life of discipleship. It is LIFE—not a part of life, not just how we think about religious things, not a set of doctrines to believe or actions to take, but a full, complete, and all-encompassing LIFE. There is not one aspect of the Christian’s life which our Lord does not claim as His own. Your job? It is His. Your family? His. Emotions? Free time? Attitudes? Relationships? All His. And, yes, that includes our money. It is His.

Part of the struggle is that simple pronoun - “my” or “our”. After working so hard all week long, after the years of preparation, training, and suffering, it really feels like my paycheck is indeed “mine”. While we know that God rules all and owns all, on an everyday level, it just feels like our money is ours. But this is where the biblical doctrine of stewardship comes in. Stewardship reminds us that God does rule all. He does own all, and we are but stewards of the resources He gives us. Yes, I work hard for the money; but, nevertheless, even my working is a gift of God, the money I make is given from God. While it lands in my pocket and my bank account, it really belongs to my Lord—I am just the steward.

Steward, a noun, one who manages, looks after or cares for another’s property.

“Our” money, our time, our energy belong to God, yet He gives its care into our hands. The job of being a steward is huge! You have the obligation to manage well, look after appropriately, and care faithfully for God’s property. He charges us with that duty. He gives us that responsibility, and we are blessed to be taken into His purposes and plans. Think about it. He has plans for this world: He intends for this world to be His. He intends to accomplish His purposes. He can (and often does) work without us, but He also most often is determined to work through us, allowing us to manage His resources in such a way as to further Christ’s Kingdom. As citizens of the King, we are called every day in every way to faithfully care for His gifts (wealth, energy, time, talents) so that others might join us in praising the glory of His name!

As we move through this life together, our task of being faithful stewards will constantly appear. Much cynicism is leveled at Christians because “the church always talks about money.” Well, there is a good, solid reason for that. As Jesus reminds us, “where your treasure is, there your heart will be also” (Matthew 6:21). We are in the business of praising our Lord, and we will always praise Him more faithfully when our hearts are in the right place. And we can see where our hearts are when we see where our treasure is. So, yes, the church talks about money. And we will do so here at Hebron because we are disciples, and we are stewards.

I wonder. Are you willing to honestly see where your treasure is? Are you willing to evaluate your stewardship responsibilities? Are you willing to put your money, your effort, your thoughts, your time toward building His Kingdom? I wonder… Am I?        
  
Henry